The annual child psychologist’s salary is reported to be about $69,000 per annum in the United States. In terms of hours, this is about $34 per hour. Child psychologist’s salary depended on different factors. Those who work in the field of organizations and industry reported slightly higher salaries. They earned about $90,000 per year. Those working in counseling agencies and clinics reported income of about $67,000 per annum. In addition to their salary, most child psychologists are also given many benefits. They receive benefits such as social security, healthcare benefits, bonuses, paid time off, pension and 401K. The child psychologist salary is one of the most attractive in the field of psychology.
Job description of a child psychologist
So the question is what do they do? Child psychologists are professionally licensed to provide treatment to kids with problems at home, those with illnesses and conditions that are psychologically related, emotional and substance abuse problems. A child psychologist primarily is a counselor. They generally work in a clinical setting to provide counseling for children. They usually modify counseling and treatment methods to better fit the needs of a child. They manage and treat several psychiatric conditions ranging from PTSD to schizophrenia in children. Child psychologists often work with social workers. They make use of clinical data to help evaluate psychological conditions of children. They assist kids with psychological and developmental issues. Some of them are employed in schools.
What is the average salary of a child psychologist?
In the United States, the average yearly salary of a child psychologist is reported to be from $41,000 – $143,000, which is about $34 per hour.
Child psychologist salary in the United States (USA)
Entry level salary for a child psychologist in the USA is between $31,000 and $41,000 per year. The median average child psychologist salary is reported to be between $55,000 and $103,000 per annum. Those with several years of experience earn between $41,000 and $134,000 annually.
A child psychologist working in the USA can expect a salary between $42,000 and $ 134,000 per year on average. They can also expect an average bonus of $5,000 in addition to their salaries. Ultimately, a child psychologist should expect to earn between $40,000 and $144,000 per year.
Child Psychologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the median salary of a child psychologist is reported to be about £50,000 per year. In terms of hours, a child psychologist should expect to earn about £25 per hour. The age of a child psychologist can also affect their salary in the UK. Those in their 20s can expect to earn about £37,000, those in their 30s about £48,000 and those 40+ can expect an annual salary of about £57,000.
For child psychologists working in Canada, the median salary is reported to be between C$31,000 and C$76,000 per year. For most Canadian child psychologists, the average annual salary is reported to be between C$32,000 and C$74,000 per annum.
For child psychologists working in Australia, the average annual child psychologist salary is reported to be about from AU$40,000 to Au$79,000. They receive a salary of between Au$40,000 and AU$79,000 per annum. Child psychologists in Australia can generally expect an annual bonus of about AU$25,000 on top of their salaries.
How to become a child psychologist?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Counseling Psychology
- Ph.D. Counselor Education and Supervision
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BA Psychology - Child & Adolescent Development
- BA Psychology
- BA Psychology - Mental Health
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
To become a child psychologist, you will need to obtain a graduate degree in psychology. The first step in becoming a child psychologist is to obtain a bachelor’s degree in psychology. When in undergraduate studies, focus more on psychology related courses such as psychology, social sciences and statistics.
After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, you need to apply to and enroll in a graduate program in psychology. This can either be a master’s degree in psychology or a Ph.D. degree in psychology.
After completing the graduate program, the next step is to get state licensing to practice psychology. After this, most will enroll in a postdoctoral fellowship in child psychology. You will take the Board Examination after this.
The last step for most people is to undertake two years practice experience focusing on children and adolescents. Learn more about child psychologist schools here.
Verdict on child psychologist salary
The top 10th percentile of child psychologists earn about $112,000 or more per year whiles the lowest 10th percentile reported a salary of $40,000 or less per year.