The annual child psychologist’s salary is reported to be about $69,000 per annum in the United States. In terms of hours, this is about $34 per hour. Child psychologist’s salary depended on different factors. Those who work in the field of organizations and industry reported slightly higher salaries. They earned about $90,000 per year. Those working in counseling agencies and clinics reported income of about $67,000 per annum. In addition to their salary, most child psychologists are also given many benefits. They receive benefits such as social security, healthcare benefits, bonuses, paid time off, pension and 401K. The child psychologist salary is one of the most attractive in the field of psychology.
Job description of a child psychologist
So the question is what do they do? Child psychologists are professionally licensed to provide treatment to kids with problems at home, those with illnesses and conditions that are psychologically related, emotional and substance abuse problems. A child psychologist primarily is a counselor. They generally work in a clinical setting to provide counseling for children. They usually modify counseling and treatment methods to better fit the needs of a child. They manage and treat several psychiatric conditions ranging from PTSD to schizophrenia in children. Child psychologists often work with social workers. They make use of clinical data to help evaluate psychological conditions of children. They assist kids with psychological and developmental issues. Some of them are employed in schools.
What is the average salary of a child psychologist?
In the United States, the average yearly salary of a child psychologist is reported to be from $41,000 – $143,000, which is about $34 per hour.
Child psychologist salary in the United States (USA)
Entry level salary for a child psychologist in the USA is between $31,000 and $41,000 per year. The median average child psychologist salary is reported to be between $55,000 and $103,000 per annum. Those with several years of experience earn between $41,000 and $134,000 annually.
A child psychologist working in the USA can expect a salary between $42,000 and $ 134,000 per year on average. They can also expect an average bonus of $5,000 in addition to their salaries. Ultimately, a child psychologist should expect to earn between $40,000 and $144,000 per year.
Child Psychologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the median salary of a child psychologist is reported to be about £50,000 per year. In terms of hours, a child psychologist should expect to earn about £25 per hour. The age of a child psychologist can also affect their salary in the UK. Those in their 20s can expect to earn about £37,000, those in their 30s about £48,000 and those 40+ can expect an annual salary of about £57,000.
For child psychologists working in Canada, the median salary is reported to be between C$31,000 and C$76,000 per year. For most Canadian child psychologists, the average annual salary is reported to be between C$32,000 and C$74,000 per annum.
For child psychologists working in Australia, the average annual child psychologist salary is reported to be about from AU$40,000 to Au$79,000. They receive a salary of between Au$40,000 and AU$79,000 per annum. Child psychologists in Australia can generally expect an annual bonus of about AU$25,000 on top of their salaries.
How to become a child psychologist?
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Child and Adolescent Developmental Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
To become a child psychologist, you will need to obtain a graduate degree in psychology. The first step in becoming a child psychologist is to obtain a bachelor’s degree in psychology. When in undergraduate studies, focus more on psychology related courses such as psychology, social sciences and statistics.
After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, you need to apply to and enroll in a graduate program in psychology. This can either be a master’s degree in psychology or a Ph.D. degree in psychology.
After completing the graduate program, the next step is to get state licensing to practice psychology. After this, most will enroll in a postdoctoral fellowship in child psychology. You will take the Board Examination after this.
The last step for most people is to undertake two years practice experience focusing on children and adolescents. Learn more about child psychologist schools here.
Verdict on child psychologist salary
The top 10th percentile of child psychologists earn about $112,000 or more per year whiles the lowest 10th percentile reported a salary of $40,000 or less per year.