The annual child psychologist’s salary is reported to be about $69,000 per annum in the United States. In terms of hours, this is about $34 per hour. Child psychologist’s salary depended on different factors. Those who work in the field of organizations and industry reported slightly higher salaries. They earned about $90,000 per year. Those working in counseling agencies and clinics reported income of about $67,000 per annum. In addition to their salary, most child psychologists are also given many benefits. They receive benefits such as social security, healthcare benefits, bonuses, paid time off, pension and 401K. The child psychologist salary is one of the most attractive in the field of psychology.
Job description of a child psychologist
So the question is what do they do? Child psychologists are professionally licensed to provide treatment to kids with problems at home, those with illnesses and conditions that are psychologically related, emotional and substance abuse problems. A child psychologist primarily is a counselor. They generally work in a clinical setting to provide counseling for children. They usually modify counseling and treatment methods to better fit the needs of a child. They manage and treat several psychiatric conditions ranging from PTSD to schizophrenia in children. Child psychologists often work with social workers. They make use of clinical data to help evaluate psychological conditions of children. They assist kids with psychological and developmental issues. Some of them are employed in schools.
What is the average salary of a child psychologist?
In the United States, the average yearly salary of a child psychologist is reported to be from $41,000 – $143,000, which is about $34 per hour.
Child psychologist salary in the United States (USA)
Entry level salary for a child psychologist in the USA is between $31,000 and $41,000 per year. The median average child psychologist salary is reported to be between $55,000 and $103,000 per annum. Those with several years of experience earn between $41,000 and $134,000 annually.
A child psychologist working in the USA can expect a salary between $42,000 and $ 134,000 per year on average. They can also expect an average bonus of $5,000 in addition to their salaries. Ultimately, a child psychologist should expect to earn between $40,000 and $144,000 per year.
Child Psychologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the median salary of a child psychologist is reported to be about £50,000 per year. In terms of hours, a child psychologist should expect to earn about £25 per hour. The age of a child psychologist can also affect their salary in the UK. Those in their 20s can expect to earn about £37,000, those in their 30s about £48,000 and those 40+ can expect an annual salary of about £57,000.
For child psychologists working in Canada, the median salary is reported to be between C$31,000 and C$76,000 per year. For most Canadian child psychologists, the average annual salary is reported to be between C$32,000 and C$74,000 per annum.
For child psychologists working in Australia, the average annual child psychologist salary is reported to be about from AU$40,000 to Au$79,000. They receive a salary of between Au$40,000 and AU$79,000 per annum. Child psychologists in Australia can generally expect an annual bonus of about AU$25,000 on top of their salaries.
How to become a child psychologist?
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
To become a child psychologist, you will need to obtain a graduate degree in psychology. The first step in becoming a child psychologist is to obtain a bachelor’s degree in psychology. When in undergraduate studies, focus more on psychology related courses such as psychology, social sciences and statistics.
After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, you need to apply to and enroll in a graduate program in psychology. This can either be a master’s degree in psychology or a Ph.D. degree in psychology.
After completing the graduate program, the next step is to get state licensing to practice psychology. After this, most will enroll in a postdoctoral fellowship in child psychology. You will take the Board Examination after this.
The last step for most people is to undertake two years practice experience focusing on children and adolescents. Learn more about child psychologist schools here.
Verdict on child psychologist salary
The top 10th percentile of child psychologists earn about $112,000 or more per year whiles the lowest 10th percentile reported a salary of $40,000 or less per year.