The median average annual massage therapist salary in the United States is reported to be roughly $46,000. This adds up to around $22 per hour. While it is not luxurious, the salary for a massage therapist should easily keep a person in the middle-class, and far from poverty. Those therapists in the upper 10th percentile can make around $58,000 a year, or $28 an hour. Massage therapists just starting out or in a lower-income area, those in the lower 10th percentile, can make up to $32,000 annually, or $15 an hour. While a high-income is nowhere near the norm, such people can face rewarding work. Those in the median income range can make anywhere from $38-$53K a year. They would be working for an hourly rate of between $18 and $25 an hour.
A number of factors can either increase or decrease the average salary of a massage therapist. This goes for any profession. These factors may include experience, location, and area of employment. Massage therapists working in the health care fields, or who are associated with ambulatory care or physicians, can earn between $50 and $60K a year, while those working in the personal care industry or through travel resorts will earn much less. Location will also play a major part. Metropolitan areas will offer a much higher pay-grade. Experience will play an important role. The more experience, the bigger a clientele base, meaning greater chances at a higher-paying income.
Benefits will add to the overall of a massage therapist salary. Paid benefits may include social security, 401K plans, paid time off, health care benefits, and many others. The overall total compensation package for a massage therapist could boost the average salary to about $67,000. This easily raises highly trained and experienced professionals into the upper-middle class.
Job Description of a Massage Therapist
Massage therapists work to provide just what is expected from the name – massage. The purpose of massage is to manipulate the muscles and soft tissues to promote relaxation, improved health, and other benefits. There are well over eighty different types of massage, and most massage therapists will be trained to administer many different types.
While there is not much room for advancement in the massage industry, client base can increase overall income. A loyal clientele is vital for a massage therapist. Prices can be raised as demand for services becomes greater.
Overall, a massage therapist faces many benefits. The hours are flexible, a calm work environment is essential, and the job is focused entirely on relaxation and health. There should be no stress involved in the massage industry.
How to Become a Massage Therapist
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Sports Science & Rehabilitation
- Respiratory Therapy
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The educational requirements necessary to become a massage therapist vary from state to state. Typically, a postsecondary education program must be completed. These programs can require five hundred hours or more of study and experience, but, again, these standards vary by state.
Most states will require massage therapists to have a license or certificate, since they deal in the health industry.
Massage Therapist Salary in Other Countries (Canada, Australia and UK)
Massage therapists working in Canada will accumulate a higher income yearly. The average annual income in Canada is C$58,000. Australia is not far behind. Massage therapists working in that country should make A$45,000 yearly on average.
The United Kingdom (UK) pays their massage therapists much less. The typical massage therapist in the UK will only make about £17,000 a year.
Verdict on Massage Therapist Salary
It is not going to be an easy ride for the beginning massage therapist. Annual incomes are low at the beginning. However, experience throughout the years will help grow a loyal clientele base. This allows for a higher annual income. The most experienced massage therapists have the potential to make $60,000 a year, and sometimes higher. While this is not entirely grandiose, it will keep someone in the upper-middle class. The work environment required evens out these salary differences. Calm and relaxation is promoted on a daily basis. While the salary might not be good at the beginning, the job will certainly be good for the health.