Are you planning to pursue a career in physical therapy? This is one of the rewarding careers. A physical therapist salary is one of the best in the healthcare career fields. The median salary is around $76,000 in the United States.
According to national data, physical therapist can expect an entry salary of about $54,000 per year and a high end salary of about $107,000 per year. Physical therapist’s salaries can vary depending on your place of employment and years of experience. For example, those employed in private home-care, nursing homes and in physician’s offices should expect to earn higher income than those working in hospitals. If you are able to open your own practice, you will have the freedom to set your own salary. Generally PTs with their own practices earn more than those working for other people.
Physical therapist job description
So you might be wondering what a physical therapist do. The job description involves a variety of tasks. Primarily, they are responsible for developing programs to help patients with an injury or illness improve their movements and better manage their pains. They are usually an essential part in the treatment and rehabilitation of people with chronic conditions such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, fractures, back pains and most sports injuries. They will be required to work with anyone recovering from an injury that makes it difficult for them to move without a lot of pain.
The duties of this profession are many:
- They must carry out diagnosis of the patient’s movement. This involves asking the patient to stand or walk. This is also achieved by asking questions and listening to their answers.
- They must then create a program for the patient. This includes setting goals and determining the plan to achieve these goals.
- They must then work with the patient to carry out the program. This involves using physical exercises, equipment’s and hands-on approach to reduce pain and increase movement in the patient.
- The physical therapist must monitor the progress of the program and making modifications to it when necessary. They may also need to start a whole new treatment program if the current one does not work.
PTs use many methods when working with patients. They may use heat, cold, equipment and massage.
There can be specialization in this field. This is because treatment will vary from patient to patient. For example, someone suffering from stroke will require a different treatment from someone suffering from a sports injure. So you have specialties such as pediatrics and sports physical therapists.
They may work in teams that can include physicians and other health professionals. They will often work with a physical therapist assistant or aide.
How to become a physical therapist
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Looking for an Online Nursing Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree
- Get Matched to Top Nursing Degree Programs RIGHT NOW for FREE!
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
The education requirements to become a physical therapist can be a long process. First you will need to earn a bachelor’s degree which takes 4 years. You will then need to enroll in a doctoral program in physical therapy. After earning your doctoral degree, you will be required in most cases to complete a residency program. This can last anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on whether you want to specialize or not. Use the forms on this page to find physical therapy programs in any state.
Physical therapist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Australia, the average physical therapist salary is reported to be about AU$61,000. The salary range is between AU$50,000 and AU$75,000.
In the United Kingdom (UK), the salary of a physical therapist ranges from £21,000 to £40,000 per year. Those working with the UK NHS system should expect a salary of between £21,000 and £28,000.
Physical therapists in Canada, the average base salary is reported to be about CA$59,000 per year. The range is between CA$46,000 and CA$73,000 per year.
Job Outlook: Job opportunities in this field are expected to grow by 29% between 2010 and 2020. The job prospects for physical therapists are very bright. They will always be required to help rehabilitate patients recovering from injuries and illnesses. And with an attractive physical therapist salary, there shouldn’t be any reason why you should not consider entering this profession.