Are you planning to pursue a career in physical therapy? This is one of the rewarding careers. A physical therapist salary is one of the best in the healthcare career fields. The median salary is around $76,000 in the United States.
According to national data, physical therapist can expect an entry salary of about $54,000 per year and a high end salary of about $107,000 per year. Physical therapist’s salaries can vary depending on your place of employment and years of experience. For example, those employed in private home-care, nursing homes and in physician’s offices should expect to earn higher income than those working in hospitals. If you are able to open your own practice, you will have the freedom to set your own salary. Generally PTs with their own practices earn more than those working for other people.
Physical therapist job description
So you might be wondering what a physical therapist do. The job description involves a variety of tasks. Primarily, they are responsible for developing programs to help patients with an injury or illness improve their movements and better manage their pains. They are usually an essential part in the treatment and rehabilitation of people with chronic conditions such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, fractures, back pains and most sports injuries. They will be required to work with anyone recovering from an injury that makes it difficult for them to move without a lot of pain.
The duties of this profession are many:
- They must carry out diagnosis of the patient’s movement. This involves asking the patient to stand or walk. This is also achieved by asking questions and listening to their answers.
- They must then create a program for the patient. This includes setting goals and determining the plan to achieve these goals.
- They must then work with the patient to carry out the program. This involves using physical exercises, equipment’s and hands-on approach to reduce pain and increase movement in the patient.
- The physical therapist must monitor the progress of the program and making modifications to it when necessary. They may also need to start a whole new treatment program if the current one does not work.
PTs use many methods when working with patients. They may use heat, cold, equipment and massage.
There can be specialization in this field. This is because treatment will vary from patient to patient. For example, someone suffering from stroke will require a different treatment from someone suffering from a sports injure. So you have specialties such as pediatrics and sports physical therapists.
They may work in teams that can include physicians and other health professionals. They will often work with a physical therapist assistant or aide.
How to become a physical therapist
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The education requirements to become a physical therapist can be a long process. First you will need to earn a bachelor’s degree which takes 4 years. You will then need to enroll in a doctoral program in physical therapy. After earning your doctoral degree, you will be required in most cases to complete a residency program. This can last anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on whether you want to specialize or not. Use the forms on this page to find physical therapy programs in any state.
Physical therapist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Australia, the average physical therapist salary is reported to be about AU$61,000. The salary range is between AU$50,000 and AU$75,000.
In the United Kingdom (UK), the salary of a physical therapist ranges from £21,000 to £40,000 per year. Those working with the UK NHS system should expect a salary of between £21,000 and £28,000.
Physical therapists in Canada, the average base salary is reported to be about CA$59,000 per year. The range is between CA$46,000 and CA$73,000 per year.
Job Outlook: Job opportunities in this field are expected to grow by 29% between 2010 and 2020. The job prospects for physical therapists are very bright. They will always be required to help rehabilitate patients recovering from injuries and illnesses. And with an attractive physical therapist salary, there shouldn’t be any reason why you should not consider entering this profession.