The annual expected average radiation therapist salary is about $75,000. This equates to roughly $38 per hour. Even therapists just starting out in their field can earn a nice salary. The lowest 10th percentile should expect an annual income of about $51,000, or $25 per hour. Experienced radiation therapists working in the top 10th percentile should expect a salary of up to $110,000, or even higher. This six figure salary is equal to at least $55 an hour. The middle 50% of radiation therapists are comfortable in their salaries, with a range between $63,000 and $95,000 per year. This is between $30 and $46 an hour.
Many factors will determine the differences in radiation therapist salary . The normal factors, experience, education, and geographic location, all play a part, as they do in most other professions. As per the norm, radiation therapists working in metropolitan areas will make a higher annual income than those working in rural areas. There are also various education and certification programs that can help a professional radiation therapist earn a bigger salary.
Benefits, such as social security, health care, and vacation time, among others, are common for the field of radiation therapy. Between a person’s salary, benefits, and bonuses, a radiation therapist should expect total compensation of about $146,000 on average every year.
Job Description of a Radiation Therapist
There are various tasks associated with a radiation therapist. Most importantly, the therapist is required to perform radiation therapy on oncology patients. The radiation therapist must also keep up patient charts and maintain and use various machinery for radiation treatment. A radiation therapist will also use imaging technologies to localize a tumor. Radiation therapists work in close proximity to oncologists.
How to become a radiation therapist
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA: Medical Sciences: Business Management
- MA: Medical Sciences: Health Informatics
- MA: Medical Sciences: Biopsychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- The Fortis Dental Assistant program teaches skills through hands-on experience
- Students will be shown how to work chair-side as dentists examine & treat patients
- All Fortis colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or others
- Fortis has a dedicated team in place to support US military students
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
There are formal training programs in place for those looking to become a radiation therapist. The programs and requirements will vary state to state. However, all states require a radiation therapist to be certified in radiation therapy.
Fortunately, there are options for aspiring radiation therapists. Rather than enrolling in a four year program at a college or university to obtain a bachelor’s degree, a radiation therapy program can be completed. Upon completion of the program, and depending on the amount of hours in education and clinical training a student has received, a student can be awarded with either an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree in radiation therapy.
Certification will follow after the completion of the program and the obtaining of the degree.
Radiation Therapist Salary in Other Countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
Radiation therapists working outside of the United States will enjoy the same salaries as those professionals working here in America. For instance, Australia offers their radiation therapists nearly the exact same average annual income as American employers: A$75,000. Canadian radiation therapists are close to that proximity as well. C$72,000 will pay for the annual income on average for professionals working in that country.
Professional radiation therapists working in the United Kingdom (UK) face only a slightly smaller annual salary. They should receive on average about £42,000 per year. This is equivalent to about $67,500.
Verdict on Radiation Therapist Salary
The goings are good for radiation therapists. They are professionals working in the medical field that are making very comfortable incomes. Some of the most highly trained and experienced professionals can make six figure salaries. The schooling for this position is also far less than the average medical professional. A few years in a radiation therapy program will get anyone into a career in radiation therapy. Furthermore, the starting salaries are high as compared to various other professional fields. Radiation therapist salary for those just starting out is expected to be about $50,000 per year if they’re just starting out. It takes many years for other professionals to reach that potential in their field. It seems radiation therapy is well worth the training involved.