The median average school psychologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $65,000 per year. Many different factors come into play when determining the salary of a school psychologist. Some of these factors include age, years of working experience, geographic location of workplace and education. School psychologists with a Master’s degree generally earn about $54,000 per year on average. For those with a Doctorate degree, they can expect an average annual salary of about $61,000 per year. School psychologists with several years of experience can earn in excess of $98,000 per year. School psychologists may also be entitled to some bonuses and benefits and that can raise their salary considerably. Read on to get a more detailed clarification of a school psychologist salary.
Job description of a school psychologist
School psychologists work with teachers and parents to help a student succeed emotionally, behaviorally, academically and socially. They counsel, instruct and mentor students that struggle with emotional, social and behavioral problems. If a student is struggling with their academic work, the school psychologist may work with the student and teachers to determine a more favorable instructional strategy for that student. They also work with students with social issues. Students with problems such as low self-esteem, anger issues and substance abuse issues. They may also work with students from different social and cultural backgrounds to better integrate into the student community.
School psychologists may also work with teachers to diagnose barriers to learning and develop solutions for them. They work with teachers to develop and apply systems to monitor student’s progress. They also work with teachers, parents and other educators to create an environment, both at school and at home, that enables the student to learn effectively.
School psychologists are involved in a wide range of development programs with other educators. They do not just provide counselling to students. Their day to day tasks involve working with students, teachers, administrators and parents to develop new programs, systems and create convulsive environment to promote learning in students.
How to become a school psychologist?
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education and Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Criminal Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Life Coaching
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
Psychologists require either a master’s degree or a doctorate degree. To become a psychologist, you first need to obtain an undergraduate degree in psychology or a related field. What graduate degree you pursue will depend on what career field you want to work in as a psychologist. Clinical psychologists generally obtain a Doctorate degree in psychology. In most states, school psychologists only require that you have a Master’s degree in psychology. The requirement varies from state to state.
Some states require that school psychologists be nationally certified.
School psychologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
A school psychologist working in Canada earns an average annual salary of between C$40,000 and C$89,000. Some employers also pay bonuses. You can expect a bonus of about C$5,000 per year.
Those working in the UK can expect to earn an average annual salary of about £50,000 per year.
School psychologists working in Australia can expect to earn about AU$40,000 to AU$92,000 per year.
Verdict on school psychologist salary
This profession can be a very tough working environment. You will have to deal with all sorts of bad characters (both students and parents). And this can be a very stressful working environment. I believe the salary of a school psychologist is very low considering what they have to work with. If you do decide to go into this profession, you should know that just like teaching, it is more of a labor of love.