The median average school psychologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $65,000 per year. Many different factors come into play when determining the salary of a school psychologist. Some of these factors include age, years of working experience, geographic location of workplace and education. School psychologists with a Master’s degree generally earn about $54,000 per year on average. For those with a Doctorate degree, they can expect an average annual salary of about $61,000 per year. School psychologists with several years of experience can earn in excess of $98,000 per year. School psychologists may also be entitled to some bonuses and benefits and that can raise their salary considerably. Read on to get a more detailed clarification of a school psychologist salary.
Job description of a school psychologist
School psychologists work with teachers and parents to help a student succeed emotionally, behaviorally, academically and socially. They counsel, instruct and mentor students that struggle with emotional, social and behavioral problems. If a student is struggling with their academic work, the school psychologist may work with the student and teachers to determine a more favorable instructional strategy for that student. They also work with students with social issues. Students with problems such as low self-esteem, anger issues and substance abuse issues. They may also work with students from different social and cultural backgrounds to better integrate into the student community.
School psychologists may also work with teachers to diagnose barriers to learning and develop solutions for them. They work with teachers to develop and apply systems to monitor student’s progress. They also work with teachers, parents and other educators to create an environment, both at school and at home, that enables the student to learn effectively.
School psychologists are involved in a wide range of development programs with other educators. They do not just provide counselling to students. Their day to day tasks involve working with students, teachers, administrators and parents to develop new programs, systems and create convulsive environment to promote learning in students.
How to become a school psychologist?
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Criminal Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Life Coaching
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
Psychologists require either a master’s degree or a doctorate degree. To become a psychologist, you first need to obtain an undergraduate degree in psychology or a related field. What graduate degree you pursue will depend on what career field you want to work in as a psychologist. Clinical psychologists generally obtain a Doctorate degree in psychology. In most states, school psychologists only require that you have a Master’s degree in psychology. The requirement varies from state to state.
Some states require that school psychologists be nationally certified.
School psychologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
A school psychologist working in Canada earns an average annual salary of between C$40,000 and C$89,000. Some employers also pay bonuses. You can expect a bonus of about C$5,000 per year.
Those working in the UK can expect to earn an average annual salary of about £50,000 per year.
School psychologists working in Australia can expect to earn about AU$40,000 to AU$92,000 per year.
Verdict on school psychologist salary
This profession can be a very tough working environment. You will have to deal with all sorts of bad characters (both students and parents). And this can be a very stressful working environment. I believe the salary of a school psychologist is very low considering what they have to work with. If you do decide to go into this profession, you should know that just like teaching, it is more of a labor of love.