Over the past several years, the number of couples seeking the services of a professional and certified sex therapist has increased. These professionals, also known as sexologists, are trained specialists who aim to help couples (married or not) achieve the best satisfaction in their love life. This involves helping them overcome various psychological issues about their intimate live, or addressing different physiological problems that may be the culprit behind a poor sex life. The average yearly salary of a sexologist varies across the US, and it depends a lot on the abilities of these professionals. On average, these professionals make around $63,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
In spite of the fact that there are no major discrepancies from one US state to another, some states pay sexologists a higher salary than the national average, while others pay these professionals a mean yearly wage that is just under the national average. Those who live in New York receive a mean yearly wage of around $40,000, while those from Chicago make around $36,000 a year. Those who live in Houston and Florida make around $25,000 a year.
Sex Therapist Job Description
These professionals aim to help adults in their personal life, and simply put sexologists are hired by those who have any type of intimate problem. A good sexologist has an open mind and is not afraid to approach different topics with the patients, from phobias related to sexual intercourse to all sorts of fetishes. Sex therapists must possess good psychological skills and knowledge, given the fact that most sex issues arise from a mental issue rather than a physical one.
A sex therapist can choose to work in a specialized clinic amongst psychiatrists, social workers and other therapists, or he can choose to open his own private practice. Also, while some patients seek the help of sex therapists directly, others are referred to these health care professionals by a general doctor, usually.
Many people these days choose to use the services of a professional sex therapist because they have too much sexual desire (or, on the contrary, because they lack it), because they have a sexual aversion or an erectile dysfunction, lack of libido, ejaculation problems such as premature ejaculation or the inability to achieve an orgasm. Many of those who schedule an appointment with a sexologist have had traumatic sexual encounters or have self-esteem issues related to their marriage and sex life.
How To Become A Sex Therapist?
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- M.S. in Psychology (online)
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
If you consider that you have what it takes to become a sexologist, such as patience and an open mind, then it is important to know that the first step you need to take towards this direction is specializing in psychology and establishing a beneficial and lucrative career as a mental health counselor or a marriage or family counselor. Also, many sex therapists start out as clinical social workers and then they choose to specialize in sex therapy.
A good sex therapist must be very organized and compassionate in order to build a trusting relationship with their clients. Empathy and good communication skills play a crucial role for the career of every sex therapist, and many of these professionals choose to work openly with the public and to provide high-quality training and education to various groups.
Certification For Sex Therapists
The certification for sexologists is provided by the AASECT, and at the time being this organization requires all the applicants for sex therapy certification to be members of the organization, to have a graduate degree along with a post-graduate clinical experience, as well as a liability insurance and a valid state license that allows them to practice psychology, marriage or family therapy in that particular state.
Regarding the academic requirements, these professionals must have at least 90 hours of courses in human sexuality and more than 60 hours of practical training in relevant disciplines to sex therapy.
Sex Therapist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a certified sexologist usually makes between 40,000 and 50,000 pounds a year, while the same health care provider makes around CAD 31,000 in Canada. Also, an Australian sex therapist has a mean yearly wage of around Au$32,000.