Over the past several years, the number of couples seeking the services of a professional and certified sex therapist has increased. These professionals, also known as sexologists, are trained specialists who aim to help couples (married or not) achieve the best satisfaction in their love life. This involves helping them overcome various psychological issues about their intimate live, or addressing different physiological problems that may be the culprit behind a poor sex life. The average yearly salary of a sexologist varies across the US, and it depends a lot on the abilities of these professionals. On average, these professionals make around $63,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
In spite of the fact that there are no major discrepancies from one US state to another, some states pay sexologists a higher salary than the national average, while others pay these professionals a mean yearly wage that is just under the national average. Those who live in New York receive a mean yearly wage of around $40,000, while those from Chicago make around $36,000 a year. Those who live in Houston and Florida make around $25,000 a year.
Sex Therapist Job Description
These professionals aim to help adults in their personal life, and simply put sexologists are hired by those who have any type of intimate problem. A good sexologist has an open mind and is not afraid to approach different topics with the patients, from phobias related to sexual intercourse to all sorts of fetishes. Sex therapists must possess good psychological skills and knowledge, given the fact that most sex issues arise from a mental issue rather than a physical one.
A sex therapist can choose to work in a specialized clinic amongst psychiatrists, social workers and other therapists, or he can choose to open his own private practice. Also, while some patients seek the help of sex therapists directly, others are referred to these health care professionals by a general doctor, usually.
Many people these days choose to use the services of a professional sex therapist because they have too much sexual desire (or, on the contrary, because they lack it), because they have a sexual aversion or an erectile dysfunction, lack of libido, ejaculation problems such as premature ejaculation or the inability to achieve an orgasm. Many of those who schedule an appointment with a sexologist have had traumatic sexual encounters or have self-esteem issues related to their marriage and sex life.
How To Become A Sex Therapist?
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Understand the Human Experience with a Psychology Degree from Saint Leo University!
- Whether you're interested in general psychology or clinical practices, earn your Psychology degree from one of the top-ranked Universities in Florida!
- Receive an Accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in any of our multiple Psychology programs from Saint Leo University!
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Psychology degree today!
- BA: Psychology - Clinical/Counseling
- BA: Psychology - General
- BA: Psychology - Developmental
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- M.S. in Human Services - Clinical Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Counseling Psychology
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BA Psychology - Child & Adolescent Development
- MS Psychology
- BA Psychology
- And more...
If you consider that you have what it takes to become a sexologist, such as patience and an open mind, then it is important to know that the first step you need to take towards this direction is specializing in psychology and establishing a beneficial and lucrative career as a mental health counselor or a marriage or family counselor. Also, many sex therapists start out as clinical social workers and then they choose to specialize in sex therapy.
A good sex therapist must be very organized and compassionate in order to build a trusting relationship with their clients. Empathy and good communication skills play a crucial role for the career of every sex therapist, and many of these professionals choose to work openly with the public and to provide high-quality training and education to various groups.
Certification For Sex Therapists
The certification for sexologists is provided by the AASECT, and at the time being this organization requires all the applicants for sex therapy certification to be members of the organization, to have a graduate degree along with a post-graduate clinical experience, as well as a liability insurance and a valid state license that allows them to practice psychology, marriage or family therapy in that particular state.
Regarding the academic requirements, these professionals must have at least 90 hours of courses in human sexuality and more than 60 hours of practical training in relevant disciplines to sex therapy.
Sex Therapist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a certified sexologist usually makes between 40,000 and 50,000 pounds a year, while the same health care provider makes around CAD 31,000 in Canada. Also, an Australian sex therapist has a mean yearly wage of around Au$32,000.