Over the past several years, the number of couples seeking the services of a professional and certified sex therapist has increased. These professionals, also known as sexologists, are trained specialists who aim to help couples (married or not) achieve the best satisfaction in their love life. This involves helping them overcome various psychological issues about their intimate live, or addressing different physiological problems that may be the culprit behind a poor sex life. The average yearly salary of a sexologist varies across the US, and it depends a lot on the abilities of these professionals. On average, these professionals make around $63,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
In spite of the fact that there are no major discrepancies from one US state to another, some states pay sexologists a higher salary than the national average, while others pay these professionals a mean yearly wage that is just under the national average. Those who live in New York receive a mean yearly wage of around $40,000, while those from Chicago make around $36,000 a year. Those who live in Houston and Florida make around $25,000 a year.
Sex Therapist Job Description
These professionals aim to help adults in their personal life, and simply put sexologists are hired by those who have any type of intimate problem. A good sexologist has an open mind and is not afraid to approach different topics with the patients, from phobias related to sexual intercourse to all sorts of fetishes. Sex therapists must possess good psychological skills and knowledge, given the fact that most sex issues arise from a mental issue rather than a physical one.
A sex therapist can choose to work in a specialized clinic amongst psychiatrists, social workers and other therapists, or he can choose to open his own private practice. Also, while some patients seek the help of sex therapists directly, others are referred to these health care professionals by a general doctor, usually.
Many people these days choose to use the services of a professional sex therapist because they have too much sexual desire (or, on the contrary, because they lack it), because they have a sexual aversion or an erectile dysfunction, lack of libido, ejaculation problems such as premature ejaculation or the inability to achieve an orgasm. Many of those who schedule an appointment with a sexologist have had traumatic sexual encounters or have self-esteem issues related to their marriage and sex life.
How To Become A Sex Therapist?
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
If you consider that you have what it takes to become a sexologist, such as patience and an open mind, then it is important to know that the first step you need to take towards this direction is specializing in psychology and establishing a beneficial and lucrative career as a mental health counselor or a marriage or family counselor. Also, many sex therapists start out as clinical social workers and then they choose to specialize in sex therapy.
A good sex therapist must be very organized and compassionate in order to build a trusting relationship with their clients. Empathy and good communication skills play a crucial role for the career of every sex therapist, and many of these professionals choose to work openly with the public and to provide high-quality training and education to various groups.
Certification For Sex Therapists
The certification for sexologists is provided by the AASECT, and at the time being this organization requires all the applicants for sex therapy certification to be members of the organization, to have a graduate degree along with a post-graduate clinical experience, as well as a liability insurance and a valid state license that allows them to practice psychology, marriage or family therapy in that particular state.
Regarding the academic requirements, these professionals must have at least 90 hours of courses in human sexuality and more than 60 hours of practical training in relevant disciplines to sex therapy.
Sex Therapist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, a certified sexologist usually makes between 40,000 and 50,000 pounds a year, while the same health care provider makes around CAD 31,000 in Canada. Also, an Australian sex therapist has a mean yearly wage of around Au$32,000.