Sports therapists are very appreciated in the sports industry these days, as their duty is to help those who suffer from different sports-related injuries to reduce their pain and suffering while improving their flexibility and mobility at the same time. It is the duty of the sports therapist to help athletes increase their performance. This is one of the fastest growing health related careers at the moment, and these therapists focus on those who have suffered extensive sports injuries and need support and rehabilitation services. The median yearly salary for these professionals revolves around the sum of $80,000 a year, although this can vary greatly across the US.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In New York,Mississippi, Massachusetts and Washington, these professionals should expect to get a salary that ranges between $90,000 and as much as $95,000, while the state of Virginia pays them with $90,000 a year for their services. On the other hand, the states of Connecticut, Georgia and New Jersey offer sports therapists median wages that vary between $80,00 and $85,000, the state of California pays them with as much as $88,000. All of these states offer sports therapists salaries that are above the national average!
Sports Therapist Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the sports therapists are many, but generally speaking these professionals give in-depth medical advice to exercise participants and sports enthusiasts. They teach them how to train themselves and how to compete safely, how to manage their strains, sprains and other sports-related injuries and they also guide the athletes throughout the entire medical rehabilitation program. Also, the duty of the sports therapist is not only to address the existing conditions, but also to prevent new injuries from arising. These therapists target all the conditions of the musculoskeletal system that can arise after playing sports, and they can work with a sports club or with the athlete himself.
Amongst the most notable duties of the sports therapist, these professionals need to test the joints of the athlete to check the range of movement, offer specialized therapy massage to help them overcome the pain, provide emergency aid whenever it is required, examine and asses the existing injuries, rehabilitate the injuries by using different manual therapy techniques and electrotherapy, treat the injuries, mobilising them as well as alleviating the pain. Sports therapists are well-aware of the many different types of sports massage out there, and they commonly use different techniques in order to help the athletes cope with the pain.
How To Become A Sports Therapist?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Assistant
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Commonly referred to as athletic trainers, sports therapists work closely with athletes, no matter if they are amateur sports enthusiasts or highly trained professional athletes. Generally speaking, most sports therapists nowadays choose to start their career with a Bachelor’s Degree in the field, then they enroll in a Master’s Degree program followed by the required licensure. Just like any other therapist in the United States of America, sports therapists need to be licensed in order to practice in all the 50 states.
When it comes to sports therapy, it must be said that while the license is mandatory in order for these professionals to work legally in the United States of America, the certification is purely optional. The Board of Certification offers several different types of certifications for both athletic trainers and sports therapists, and the eligibility requirements can vary. However, the basic requirements involve completing a specialized and advanced training program that is accredited by the CAATE, acronym that stands for the Commission on Accreditation of the Athletic Training Education. After getting their certification, the sports therapists must maintain their certification in airway obstruction, adult and pediatric CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) as well as in emergency cardiac care.
Sports Therapist Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, the median yearly salary is of CAD$52,000, in Australia of Au$61,000 while in the United Kingdom it typically ranges between 17,000 and as much as 28,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Sports Therapist Salary
To conclude, sports therapists receive great salaries in the United States of America, and those who work directly with professional athletes rather than for a sports club tend to earn even more money. The payment varies greatly across the United States, but they can easily get over $90,000 a year in most areas!