Physical therapists are trained health care professionals who help patients who either suffer from massive injuries or trauma, or who have chronic medical conditions that just require urgent medical attention. It is the duty of the physical therapist to make the pain as manageable as possible, and to help patients regain their physical mobility. These professionals work with people of all kinds, from those who suffered from fractures, amputations and birth injuries to people who have arthritis, back injuries as well as sprains. It is the duty of the physical therapist to come up with a treatment plan and then to keep an eye on the progress of the patient. The median yearly salary of a physical therapist in the USA is of $81,000 a year.
Physical Therapist Salary In Different Parts Of The USA
In Nevada, physical therapists make around $115,00 a year, while those from Alaska and the state of New Jersey make around $95,000 a year. At the same time, physical therapists who live and work in California and Texas should expect to get anything between $90,000 and as much as $95,000 a year.
Physical Therapist Job Description
The primary duty of the physical therapist is to restore the function of the patient, to prevent and treat the already existing disabilities and to alleviate pain and improve flexibility at the same time. Moreover, physical therapists work closely with physicians, surgeons and doctors, and another notable duty of the therapist is to plan and to medically administer all the prescribed medications and therapies.
These professionals must assess the overall health status of the patient and then interpret all the tests results. Moreover, it is the duty of the physical therapist to help the patient accept the therapeutic devices, to perform different manual exercises and to assist the patient with the daily living activities. In some cases, physical therapists may also need to administer massages, use whirlpool baths, ultraviolet and infrared lamps to alleviate the pain, use ultrasound machines and such. The physical therapist must also be familiar with several administrative notions, and they must understand how important patient confidentiality is and why they must struggle to keep the information confidential. These professionals also handle department records and keep track of every single procedure or technique that has been applied to the patient.
Physical therapists work closely with nurses, social workers and physicians and they often take place in conferences where they do their best to stay up to date with the latest medical discoveries. The physical therapist never discharges a patient without consulting with all the other members of the health care team first, and it is also the responsibility of the therapist to carefully evaluate all the effects of the physical therapy treatments and to make sure that the orthotic and the prosthetic devices fit perfectly. In some cases, the therapist may be responsible for making different adjustments or recommendations.
How To Become A Therapist?
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Regardless if you want to become a marriage therapist, a sex therapist or a physical therapist, it is important to firstly complete your undergraduate studies and to have either a high school diploma or a GED that will allow you to enroll in a program of higher education. The Bachelor’s Degree plays a crucial role in the life and career of every therapist, and some of these professionals choose to make the best out of their professions by enrolling in an advanced doctoral program. For instance, the physical therapists who enroll in a doctoral program will study different courses in the future, from psychology and chemistry to physics and anatomy or physiology.
The graduate degree is the one-way ticket to success for every modern physical therapist, and a Master’s Degree program can take up to 36 months to complete, while the Doctoral Degree programs only take 36 months. The training will cover different topics, from medical screening and prosthetics to orthotics and diagnostics.
The license and the residency program are both equally important, and all the physical therapists who want to practice in the United States of America must have at least 1,000 hours of documented clinical physical therapy hours.
Even if they are licensed, some of the physical therapists choose to become certified by the ABPTS, which is an accredited certification institution that currently offers credentials in different areas of physical therapy, from geriatrics and orthopaedics to women’s health, sports and paediatrics.
Therapist Salary In Canada, Uk And Australia
In Canada, a therapist makes around $CAD60,000, in Australia around Au$61,000 while in the United Kingdom these professionals should expect a median yearly wage between 20,000 and 40,000 pounds.
Verdict On Therapist Salary
The salary of a therapist is certainly rewarding, and the certification can increase your income opportunities even more.