More and more people have started to acknowledge the importance of living a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and along with that, the demand for personal trainers and aerobic professionals has increased dramatically. The duties of a personal trainer are many, from helping customers achieve their fitness goals to staying in good shape yourself.
This profession has been around for centuries, although the duties and responsibilities of the fitness trainer have slightly changed throughout the years. At the time being, there are more than half a million personal and fitness trainers in the United States of America, and their yearly average salary is of around $35,000. However, the top earners in the fitness industry can make as much as $63,000 a year or more.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
New York pays its aerobics instructors, fitness and personal trainers a mean yearly wage of around $49,000, while the District of Columbia pays them around $45,000 a year, and so does Massachusetts. The state of Connecticut pays its personal and fitness trainers a mean yearly wage of around $40,000, just like the state of California, while New Jersey pays them $42,000 a year, which is around $7,000 above the national average.
Personal Trainer Job Description
The main duty of the personal trainer is to help clients lose weight, achieve their weight loss goals and improve their overall physical appearance. In addition to this, personal trainers also educate clients and those who are interested in a healthier, more balanced lifestyle. It is the responsibility of the fitness trainer to identify their goals and then to create tailored workout programs for them, depending on what they hope to achieve (lose weight, increase their strength and endurance, improve their fitness level and so forth).
These professionals have in-depth knowledge in fields like exercise, human anatomy and physiology, and they are also familiar with a variety of diseases and illnesses that are triggered by obesity and/or the lack of exercise. It is their duty to make sure that their clients fully understand the importance of having a healthy and active lifestyle, and they can work either with groups of clients or they can offer individual, one on one training sessions, depending on the needs and requirements of their clients.
An aspect of utmost importance is the communication – it is essential for personal trainers to be able to assess the needs of their clients, to discuss the importance of staying in shape as well as to keep them motivated throughout the months of training. In order to do that, it is essential for the trainer to have good listening and communication skills. Also, these professionals deal with monitoring the progress of their clients throughout the course of several months – they record their health status, their overall weight and fitness level, and compare them against charts to see whether they have made any progress.
Fitness trainers and aerobics professionals often attend specialized and professional workshops and fitness events in order to stay up to date with the latest innovations in the field, as well as to earn new qualifications. These professionals are highly trained both in the field of fitness and in that of nutrition.
How To Become A Personal Trainer?
- Personal Trainer
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Nutrition
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- MS in Applied Nutrition
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Athletic Coaching - MAT
- Sport and Athletic Management - MAT
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you. Ashford delivers relevant degree programs to you everywhere, any time, with a supportive community where you belong.
- BA/Health and Wellness
- BA/Health Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism :Thesis
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism : Non-Thesis
- Master of Science: Sport Management: Outdoor Adventure Sport (Thesis)
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
Working as a personal trainer offers you a lot of flexibility and independence in an industry where the job outlook is absolutely excellent. In spite of the fact that it can be challenging at first to get stable and loyal clients, personal trainers will eventually manage to do so.
The first step towards becoming a good and reputable aerobics instructor or fitness trainer is deciding on your fitness certification. It if very important to enroll in a specialized fitness training program that is accredited either by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies or by another competent review body. Getting your certification as a fitness instructor from an NCCA program or an equivalent can certainly open many doors in the future.
Another essential part is choosing your specialty, as you have a plethora of options to choose from: you can become an expert in athlete training, sports conditioning, high-intensioty interval training, group classes, working with kids and teenagers, weight loss and so on.
The certification is provided by the ACE, or the American Council on Exercise. This is a non-proit organization that has been maintaining accreditation from the NCCA for more than a decade, and it is also accredited by the well-known EHFA, or the European Health and Fitness Association.
Personal Trainer Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Fitness trainers make more than C$40,000 in Canada, while their mean yearly wage in Australia is of around $50,000, and in the United Kingdom their salary ranges between $16,000 and $22,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Personal Trainer Salary
To conclude, the personal trainer salary is very motivating for most fitness and aerobics professionals.