More and more people have started to acknowledge the importance of living a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and along with that, the demand for personal trainers and aerobic professionals has increased dramatically. The duties of a personal trainer are many, from helping customers achieve their fitness goals to staying in good shape yourself.
This profession has been around for centuries, although the duties and responsibilities of the fitness trainer have slightly changed throughout the years. At the time being, there are more than half a million personal and fitness trainers in the United States of America, and their yearly average salary is of around $35,000. However, the top earners in the fitness industry can make as much as $63,000 a year or more.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
New York pays its aerobics instructors, fitness and personal trainers a mean yearly wage of around $49,000, while the District of Columbia pays them around $45,000 a year, and so does Massachusetts. The state of Connecticut pays its personal and fitness trainers a mean yearly wage of around $40,000, just like the state of California, while New Jersey pays them $42,000 a year, which is around $7,000 above the national average.
Personal Trainer Job Description
The main duty of the personal trainer is to help clients lose weight, achieve their weight loss goals and improve their overall physical appearance. In addition to this, personal trainers also educate clients and those who are interested in a healthier, more balanced lifestyle. It is the responsibility of the fitness trainer to identify their goals and then to create tailored workout programs for them, depending on what they hope to achieve (lose weight, increase their strength and endurance, improve their fitness level and so forth).
These professionals have in-depth knowledge in fields like exercise, human anatomy and physiology, and they are also familiar with a variety of diseases and illnesses that are triggered by obesity and/or the lack of exercise. It is their duty to make sure that their clients fully understand the importance of having a healthy and active lifestyle, and they can work either with groups of clients or they can offer individual, one on one training sessions, depending on the needs and requirements of their clients.
An aspect of utmost importance is the communication – it is essential for personal trainers to be able to assess the needs of their clients, to discuss the importance of staying in shape as well as to keep them motivated throughout the months of training. In order to do that, it is essential for the trainer to have good listening and communication skills. Also, these professionals deal with monitoring the progress of their clients throughout the course of several months – they record their health status, their overall weight and fitness level, and compare them against charts to see whether they have made any progress.
Fitness trainers and aerobics professionals often attend specialized and professional workshops and fitness events in order to stay up to date with the latest innovations in the field, as well as to earn new qualifications. These professionals are highly trained both in the field of fitness and in that of nutrition.
How To Become A Personal Trainer?
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Sports Business
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism : Non-Thesis
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism :Thesis
- BS: Sport Management: General
- And more...
- Join the growing healthcare field with one of the 13 healthcare degrees Ashford University offers at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Choose a degree in fields like nursing for RNs, health and wellness, gerontology, complementary and alternative health, and public health.
- Most degree programs are offered online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs (doctoral dissertation classes last 9 weeks).
- Ashford University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001
- BA/Health and Wellness
Working as a personal trainer offers you a lot of flexibility and independence in an industry where the job outlook is absolutely excellent. In spite of the fact that it can be challenging at first to get stable and loyal clients, personal trainers will eventually manage to do so.
The first step towards becoming a good and reputable aerobics instructor or fitness trainer is deciding on your fitness certification. It if very important to enroll in a specialized fitness training program that is accredited either by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies or by another competent review body. Getting your certification as a fitness instructor from an NCCA program or an equivalent can certainly open many doors in the future.
Another essential part is choosing your specialty, as you have a plethora of options to choose from: you can become an expert in athlete training, sports conditioning, high-intensioty interval training, group classes, working with kids and teenagers, weight loss and so on.
The certification is provided by the ACE, or the American Council on Exercise. This is a non-proit organization that has been maintaining accreditation from the NCCA for more than a decade, and it is also accredited by the well-known EHFA, or the European Health and Fitness Association.
Personal Trainer Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Fitness trainers make more than C$40,000 in Canada, while their mean yearly wage in Australia is of around $50,000, and in the United Kingdom their salary ranges between $16,000 and $22,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Personal Trainer Salary
To conclude, the personal trainer salary is very motivating for most fitness and aerobics professionals.